Monday, June 23, 2008

The saga of telecom immunity continues

On June 20th, the US House passed the FISA Amendments Act of 2008. Among those amendments is immunity for telecommunications companies for their cooperation of potentially violating the 4th Amendment rights of US citizens in an effort to preserve national security. Unfortunately the calls I placed to my Representative were unsuccessful. Thank you John Shimkus of the 15th Illinois Congressional District (Correction should have been the 19th Illinois Congressional District. My mistake, apologies)..Luckily election time is just around the corner.


Now the saga moves onto the US Senate. Which should be interesting. Considering our two presidential contenders will need to vote on the issue. If they do not take a stand on this issue, then how can we trust their leadership and decision making skills. Fortunately for me, Senator Obama is one of my senators. Unfortunately for him I have already called and e-mailed his office. (I had to make sure you heard me Senator Obama!).


If you are interested in the bill then you can find some more information at the following locations.


The legislation

Roll call vote of the US House


Sorry I only have the information for the Illinois senators...if you need to find out your senator's contact information you can go here and search by state.

Senator Obama

Phone: (202) 224-2854

District Phone: (312) 886-3506

Web page


Senator Durbin

Phone: (202) 224-2152

District Phone: (312) 353-4952

Web page

No comments: